Quality and Safety
RankingsUMass Memorial Medical Center is continually working on making care safer and more cost effective and has invested in process improvements and patient-centered care programs that are winning high praise from our patients and outside sources, such as Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). Our many successes include:
- Our ranking among the best in the state and nationally for outcomes for heart attack, coronary bypass surgery and cardiac valve replacement surgery and preventing cardiac surgical infections by Mass-DAC (Massachusetts Data Analysis Center).
- Our stroke program’s recognition by the American Heart Association.
- Our renowned eICU care ranking of first by VISICU eICU Quality Consortium and highlighted by the Journal of the American Medical Association for significantly reducing mortality and improving patient outcomes.
- Our central line infection rate approaching zero percent despite treating some of the sickest patients.
- Our high scores from CMS for our surgical safety initiatives and our preventable events including retained foreign bodies, pressure ulcers, falls and blood clots.
- December 2012: Thoughts on hospital grading systems, Understanding Leapfrog Group grades
- December 2012: Talking Points on Leapfrog Group
- December 2012: In Massachusetts, extensive information on hospital quality and safety data is available on the PatientCareLink website, which is co-sponsored by the Massachusetts Hospital Association (MHA) and Organization of Nurse Leaders of Massachusetts and Rhode Island (ONL).
- July 2012: UMass Memorial Medical Center Earns Top Rank in Worcester from US News and World Report.